Monday, March 19, 2007

Why I chose to risk arrest at The White House

(The following is written by Phil's friend and fellow peace activist, Marty Bates of Salina.)

This past Wednesday, Janie and I drove with 7 other peace activists to Washington DC for a weekend of activity surrounding the 4th anniversary of our invasion of a sovereign nation. We drove 23 hours in a 15 passenger van rented from a local car sales lot for the trip. As we drove out, I knew that Janie and I would discern whether or not to risk arrest with the larger group that we met at DC. At the time of the discussion in the Van on the way to DC, I fully expected that I would not participate in Divine Obedience. We received the tentative okay from the other parties to continue to pursue discernment. On the way back home after the action, some of the van riders expressed wonder at our becoming arrested. They wondered why we would do this and what benefit it would have. I expect to answer this same question a few times in the next few weeks so I thought I’d get a jump on things.

As I said, I didn’t really expect to cross the line and risk arrest when heading down there. I had some definite feelings about this and thought that getting arrested was giving up power to the society at large. I thought, “I can do more as a moderator of this group (Salina People for Peace) out of jail than I can in jail. Of course I knew that risking arrest didn’t necessarily mean I’d be in jail forever, but that it could work out that way. So you can see that my plan for Friday was to attend a great non-violence resistance training and then demonstrate peacefully and not risk arrest.

As a Christian, the question has been nagging at me for some time, how much is enough, when every second more people die and more money is spent on war that could be spent on food, jobs, job training, college scholarships, etc. I went to the extended non-violent resistance training (10:00 am – 6:30 pm) with the hopes of discerning what God would have me do as a witness for peace. I wasn’t disappointed.

I went in with the theme of “how much is enough” and “how do I walk in faith.” I went in wearing my best witness icons, my Vets for Peace hat along with a t-shirt and sweatshirt combination I usually wear to rallies. It seems like being a 20 year Air Force Retiree has been a strong witness and well received at the peace rallies. I wasn’t a veteran of war so much as a non-combatant who was always in supporting roles of the warriors, I was a medic for the first seven years and I couldn’t carry a weapon, then as a substance abuse counselor the last 13 years, I never looked at CO status - everything seemed as thought in peacetime there was no likelihood I’d ever have to be a combatant.

At the training I ran out to make a phone call and ran into Elliott, another Veteran for Peace. He remembered me from earlier interaction at the School of America’s Watch actions and saw my Vet garb and called me over. He told me a woman was interviewing vets for an article she’s writing for a German news service. He asked me if I’d like to be interviewed as well. I indicated I’d be happy to help out. During the interview, she asked if there was a benchmark to be met here at this action today. I responded, “I’m considering civil disobedience or as I call it divine obedience. Whether I do it or not, the decision will be a bit of a benchmark I think.” She asked me with a very direct stare, “Are you going to do it?” I responded, “I honestly don’t know, I’m still in the discernment process.” I mention this now because I think the semi commitment of telling her was one of the points I discussed in my head later in the day. I thought about and debated the impact of saying that and not doing it vs. doing it, as in retrospect I realize my commitment had already been made, I just wasn’t ready to voice it at that time.

During the day, I kept looking at the resolute faces around me. These were people seriously considering or planning to give up their power to the police, not knowing how it would impact their day, week, and/or lifetime. I was thinking of the solidarity and at some point decided that if it weren’t for the uncertainty of what might happen and how my arrest might impact my fellow travelers, family, and coworkers, I would surely step over the line and be arrested. I might mention here that we kept referring to the action as “risking arrest.” There was really no “risking” about it. We who stepped over the line would be arrested; we just didn’t know what exactly would happen next. We had a pretty good idea and the homework of the planners helped outline the basics presumptions, but it was unknown what would really happen once we crossed that line.

Now, I think of myself as an extremely faithful person. I continually walk in faith to the best of my ability to remember my role. This is what really got me. I thought, “If I truly have faith in God, then why do I worry what will happen with the people around me? Why wouldn’t I just step forward and trust the final details to God?” That’s when I decided. Everything up to that point, for me, was just a gap in my personal faith. Once I remembered to trust God, I knew completely that I would do it. A few times I turned to Janie and said, “Well, have you decided?” Each time I asked this she said, “Not yet.” The last time I asked, I had decided. We knew when we both took a form and filled it out. What the form entailed was basic information about us and our support persons so the organizers could track us through the system. We both held those forms for a while and then all of a sudden, I asked Janie if she’d like me to turn in her form with mine and she said yes. I went and turned in the forms and got our blue armbands signifying our status as Divine Obedience participants and it was done. I was glad to have done that before the wonderful church service because it really allowed me to relax and just take in the whole movement of God and God’s interaction with God’s followers.

What I was to get from the action, was left to be learned. I think if asked why I chose to do this, I would say, “Why not? It’s a natural step in this process in which I’ve been involved for two years. The only reason I wouldn’t do it would be a lack of faith or other inability to put one foot in front of the other or otherwise be present.”

Now, I’ll share a little about the process and what true benefit it was.

It was very cold outside and enough of a breeze that I couldn’t keep my candle lit. Others had a cup to house their candle and protect it from wind, I didn’t. We began the March from New York Avenue Presbyterian Church at around 10:00 I suppose. I think time had gotten away from me at this point. We walked a few blocks to Lafayette Park, across from The White House. The White House looked smaller than I expected from photos. While there I worried a lot about how I would make sure I was available to hear the announcements about when I’d cross the line. I needn’t worry however, as the organizers, Christian Witness for Peace in Iraq, had everything under control. They sent the large group on their walk encircling the White House and us to line up and await our chance to enter the area for which we didn’t have a permit. All of a sudden we heard the announcement for the 100s (the first group of 100) to move toward the demonstration area. They proceeded on and gathered beginning to pray individually in their own tradition. It was wonderful to be with Christians, finally gathering together ecumenically to speak out. They were then warned that they were demonstrating without a permit and to leave the area, which they didn’t. We were told this was how it would be and that once the first 100 were arrested, if we (the second group of 100; the 200’s) went over, we’d be crossing a police line and that’s what we’d be arrested for. The 100s were warned one more time and then began the slow process of arrest, identification, and mug shots, right there on Pennsylvania Avenue, followed by detention in the buses brought there for us. Once the first wave were all placed under arrest and detained in their busses, it was our turn to cross the police line to pray. Believe me we were already doing plenty of praying, and singing, and dancing. As a bus filled it drove off to the processing center at Anacosta National Park Office, right across the river from where we were arrested. I walked across the line with Janie and for me it was a scary and freeing moment. That’s the moment I think I realized what a profound conversation I’d been having with God all day long. This was the greatest communion. I felt the Communion of Saints; I felt the presence of all of the great peacemakers in their non-cooperation as well.

Now in the forbidden area, we kneeled and stood to pray, we danced and sang. We spoke solemnly and laughed. We also spoke with the officers that were there and explained a little of our purpose. One of my themes that I hoped to say was, “If you knew what I know, you’d be praying with me.” I can’t remember if I said that or not, but I think I asked an officer to pray with us.

By this time I was very cold. I hadn’t really planned on the weather being as cold as it was, (partially because I hadn’t planned on being arrested) and so I was sorely underdressed. My shivering was coming out in my voice and occasionally in my hands. I was watching the officers arresting the participants and at one point I was shaking pretty bad and just thinking and this officer looked at me and walked directly toward me with the cuffs. I think at that moment Officer Adrian was performing a “mercy arrest.” He put the cuffs over my hands and pulled them tight, and asked me to walk with him, which I did. As we walked he asked me for identification which I fished from my pocket and placed in a Ziploc bag he was holding. I gave him my military retiree ID card, I was wearing my Vet’s for Peace clothing. He then frisked me, and walked me to another person who numbered the bag and my cuffs and passed me on for a mug shot. They took the mug shot with two different cameras, one a Polaroid. After the mug shot, they sent me up the steps of the bus, politely suggesting I watch my step and use the handrail. I was guided to my seat beside Maggie, a 20 something woman who bicycles to work every day in DC and works as a service provider for underprivileged persons.
Across the aisle from me was Palma (pronounced Palmer) who was a 56 year old house repair contractor who was also a tax resistor, maintaining a life under the radar of the tax laws. Janie was soon arrested and I watched her progress as she went through the same steps and joined us on the bus. Our fellow inmates wanted us to sit together, as they had been observing our synergy and the great love we have for each other. We declined, thinking we would get to meet and converse with some new and wonderful people this way.

When the bus was full, we headed out to Anacosta. At some point I suddenly realized I was warm again. I hadn’t even noticed the transition. We were arrested at about 2:30 am on St. Patty’s day, and released at 5:00 am. They allowed us to keep our cuffs. They only had to cut one half of my cuffs as during the wait I had been playing around with mine and slipped my right hand out of the cuffs. I guess the right has always been free and now the left was too. Janie and I hugged and kissed and walked in our cuddling way the half mile or so to our organizers’ waiting busses. There we found food and water (but not a bathroom) and lots of camaraderie. We sang told stories and slept while waiting to go back to New York Avenue Presbyterian Church for more celebration, followed by sleep. Janie and I slept for about an hour and a half on the stage in one of the multipurpose rooms of the church. I thought the hardwood stage would be slightly softer than the linoleum tile floor. From there we got directions and joined other friends at the 1st precinct police station via the Metro, to pay our fine of 100 dollars each.

What I benefited was a strengthening of my resolve as a Christian. I finally feel like I faithfully followed the call of my God. I know that my presence at the white house and my giving myself to the authorities for arrest won’t stop the war. I know that God will stop the war and may consider my faithful walk in the process. I think that the best way to grow in spirit is to clarify the walk, which I did with great focus that Friday/Saturday. I know that the bond we form with our co conspirators will make a difference, if the difference is just to strengthen us for the next step. Ken Butigan, our trainer, modeled the example of us Jumping (emphasized with a hop forward with two feet) into the center and imagining waves going out from that central point. I would add that they connect with other waves of other jumpers and grow into expanding and strengthening circles. I felt that hop and now I watch the circles.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely, in peace,

Martin A. Bates, MSgt, USAF Retired
Peacenik and drum builder
martinbikes@cox.net

No comments: