Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflections on War & Peace Dialogue

Nov. 23, 2009
by Jonne Long (jlong14@kc.rr.com)

Some quick reflections:

I would like very much to live in a world where violence is absent from the peoples' minds as well as from their actions, where a culture of nonviolence is so strong throughout the world that a military presence would be unnecessary.

I respect and agree spiritually and philosophically with the views expressed by you and your Mennonite brethren and sistren. Yet I know when push comes to shove, there would come a point when my resolve would weaken, and I would welcome some protection, even if it involved violence. And on a larger scale, it appears that some level of defense is needed to keep order in cities, states, and countries in the world today. Even so, I think it is very important to stand up for nonviolence as an ideal to be expressed as fully as possible in each of our own lives, and that we should always be found calling upon our institutions and organizations to resist the use of violence to the extent possible.

I was impressed by the thoughtfulness of all four of the Army representatives - their willingness to listen - and their lack of defensiveness about their own choices. It made me feel a little better about what is being taught to the officers at Ft. Leavenworth. Strength restrained by discipline and tempered by a deep-seated understanding that violence is a last resort is much better than undisciplined strength turned loose without thought or reason.

Did I hear you or someone say that another similar session or two might be planned within the next few months?

No comments: